We had a great time and managed to happen across enough entertainment to fill our time. A quick summary of sites includes:
- Athens Boogie on the Bricks block party - Day 1
- X Cave at Cater's Caves State Park, KY - Day 2
- Maker's Mark Distillery Tour, KY - Day 3
- Natural Bridge State Park, KY - Day 4
- Lunch in Charleston WV and traveling the US 60 - Day 5
- New River Gorge and Hawk's Nest State Park, WV - Day 6
- Beartown State Park, WV - Day 7
- Cass Railroad and Green Bank Telescope, WV - Day 8
A selection of our pictures are mapped below. Some of these will be included in upcoming posts.
View 2009 Kentucky, West Virginia Road Trip in a larger map
With no reservations or specific destinations in mind we set off and tried not to look at the map too much. We brought a cooler with picnic goodies, avoided the interstates, looked for cheap entertainment and hoped to stay in inexpensive motels. As we pulled out of the garage, we debated whether we should head east to Pittsburg or south to Athens. We decided to head south. As you can see below, I was quite enthusiastic to finally be "rolling".
|From 2009 Kentucky, West Virginia Road Trip|